Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Babies & Star Wars

Like most couples in their 20s, Rob and I have spoken extensively on the subject of children. More specifically, I have spoken excessively at him on the subject of children and he has given me a near-constant refrain of “well, I guess we’ll see.”  The only thing we ever decided and agreed upon for sure were names.

After talking with several of my peers I realized that I hold a very common fear—the fear of infertility. This used to almost keep me awake at night, wondering if my uterus would ever function in the way in which she (yes, she) was built to function. Finally last year I questioned this fear, and came to the realization that if Rob and I could not bear children of our own that we would undoubtedly survive and either (1) live together happily with a houseful of dogs or (2) find alternative methods of child-making.

But last summer after a conversation with my husband, brother-in-law and sister-in-law, I realized that I really hope we can have children for the sole reason that the scenario positively needs to come to fruition:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me: We already have girls’ names picked out, but Rob never likes any boys’ names I suggest. Either they’re too Biblical, too modern, too hipster-y, etc., etc.

Brother-in-law, Nick: Why don’t you just name the kid Robert? Runs in the family.

Me: Well, then I’d want to call him Robbie rather than Bob or Bobby [Rob’s father and step-father], and I already call Rob Robbie.

Nick: You could call him R2.

Me: Better yet, we could name him after my dad, Daniel. Robert Daniel. Then we could call him R2D2.

Rob: *Blinks* That's it. That is our son’s name. That is officially the only boy’s name and nickname that I will accept.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Do you have baby names picked out for your future or non-existent children?

P.S. - I know you are wondering and yes, I tried to come up with a name that would spell out C3PO and failed miserably.

11 comments:

  1. EPIC. Freaking EPIC. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha, that is epic win! I like the idea of calling someone Georgie, so unless I have a guy friend named George, I'm going to name my son, George! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I love it!

    I have names picked out, but they are top secret. : )

    xo,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha I love it!! Definitely stick with R2D2 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting...i enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there!
    I'm your newest follower, found you via my girl thursday.

    I look forward to reading your blog!

    katelyncarter.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! R2D2...love that as the nickname. :) Plus you are still honoring a family tradion of sorts by bring the name Robert into the future generation! :)

    xx Cat brideblu

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! So far every name we've settled on has suddenly shot up to the top 5 baby name list, so ours are total lockdown. Silly, I know : )

    I wiiiiish I could tell you our epic name game story, though! It's similarly geektastic. I'll have to post it later on (much later on), once it's baby time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i completely understand how you feel! Not being fertile is so scary!! I luckily am able to get pregnant and thank God every day!! I hope this comment doesn't come off as facetious but this was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha amazing! I am reeeeally not into children- just don't like them, and never have. We'll see if some crazy biological clock starts ringing in a few years, but nothing so far...

    But names I do love, and I make do with naming my pets and naming characters in writing. I have favourite girl names- Olive and Hazel- but none really for boys.

    My cousin got married to a Mark this year, which is her Dad's (my uncle) name too, so they call the younger one Zephyr instead (as in Zephyr Mk II). Not quite as amazing as R2D2.

    Oh! And as for awful names- I recently heard of a family in my hometown with the surname Ford, and they've named all their kids after different models, including Customline Ford

    The ffff

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.